join the circus

This is me attempting to engage the world around me, search for justice, and spread peace.

Tuesday, December 11

Is there a safe haven left?

Last night we ended up watching American news while we ate supper. A story about those church shootings in Colorado came on, and the first thing out of Matt's mouth was

"They have armed security guards at churches down there?"

I was thinking the same thing. I can't imagine it. Our church doesn't even have security cameras. Sometimes I forget that the culture is different than my own.

It's awful that they feel it's necessary - it apparently is necessary.

A church shouldn't have to take steps to keep anyone out. That's not what church is about.

Sometimes I don't know how to deal with the way our society is changing.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 12/11/2007 5:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What makes you think it's changing? (We have a pretty consistent history of violence...)

 
At 12/15/2007 2:53 PM, Blogger Trudy said...

It is changing. At one time you could walk into a church at any time to pray. The doors weren't even locked. Yes we have a history of violence but almost everyone knew that some places were sacred. It's our own fault though when we don't keep churches a sacred place (churches that have circuses in the "Sanctuary" come to mind. gggrrrr.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home