join the circus

This is me attempting to engage the world around me, search for justice, and spread peace.

Tuesday, April 18

Two very different parties

We went back to Edmonton for the Easter Weekend. On Friday I helped with the big Community Easter Dinner at the agency I used to work for, Hope Mission. I experienced the event very differently, since this time it was not my job to be in charge of the whole thing. I felt like I connected so much more with people since I wasn't so preoccupied with solving problems and keeping things moving. It felt good to be back, to see familiar faces and get hugs, to feel like I knew what I was doing. Belonging is a powerful feeling. Medicine Hat is still unfamiliar and uncomfortable for me.

On Saturday we were invited to the celebration dinner for the first haircut of a friend's baby boy. This was a Hindu celebration. There was a ceremony for family in the morning where the head was shaved. I had never been to one of these before, so I did not expect it to be such a big, formal party. It was almost right up there with their wedding! Wonderful food & drink, speeches, singing and dancing and a slide show. The father explained the significance of the event:

Hindu tradition is that when a baby is born the only thing that is still connected to a possible previous life is the hair. As the child grows, the hair is not cut until it's time for the first haircut ceremony, sometime around one year of age. Shaving the head clean signifies cutting ties with the past life, removing impurities and celebrating the start of a new life.

I felt very privileged to be invited. In my experience so far, Hindu parties are the most fun. Great food, beautiful clothing and excellent dance music. Even the shrivelled little grand and greatgrandparents keep jumping until way after midnight.

Good times.

1 Comments:

At 4/25/2006 7:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Lisa,

Glad that you had a good holiday in Etown. It was great seeing you at the party and glad that you could be a part of the event. Sounds like you are getting cozy in Medicine Hat, glad that everything is going well over there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home