join the circus

This is me attempting to engage the world around me, search for justice, and spread peace.

Saturday, April 8

caricature as a mirror

We've been watching a lot of American political comedy lately. I enjoy political humour. I think it plays an important role. It can diffuse a very charged subject, making it easier to look at ourselves and our views from other angles. When confronted on a serious level about our politics and ethics, we often get defensive and put up walls.

Christianity has lately been the butt of many jokes, as American right-wing politics are currently tied very tightly to it (I have met several Americans who think you cannot be a Democrat and a Christian at the same time). As a Christian I admit I sometimes feel offended by the jabs. Most of the time, though, they have a good point.

The North American Church is making itself an easy target. There is so much focus on our rights, our freedoms, what we're entitled to. Isn't it supposed to be about showing love and grace to the world? Protecting the rights of those who can't stick up for their own, the whole 'widows and orphans' thing?

The cart is being put in front of the horse. Why fight so hard to have a 'Christian' nation? You can't make people into Christians by forcing them to live by Christian principles. What good is it to make people pay lip service to something they don't believe in their hearts. To a milder degree, it's like rolling back the clock a thousand years and announcing "convert or die!" What a great choice, even better than 'Republican or Democrat'.

It seems to me the church forgets its' purpose when it walks arm and arm with the powers that be. I'm not saying bring on the persecution. I'm just saying lets get our priorities straightened out. Yes, I cherish the right to believe what I want, to pray in public and to own religious books. I believe it's important for everyone to have those rights. Let's ask for respect, not demand it, and treat others well first. Let's not be known by our anger, condemnation, selfishness and pride.

1 Comments:

At 4/08/2006 8:31 PM, Blogger Stephen T Berg said...

Well said Lisa, log and splinter stuff. steve

 

Post a Comment

<< Home