join the circus

This is me attempting to engage the world around me, search for justice, and spread peace.

Sunday, April 2

Am I too young to have a midlife crisis?

I am just days away from my 30th birthday and, quite frankly, I'm terrified. My reaction to this event in my life came as a surprise to me. I didn't realize I had any aging issues. It has come at the same time as other major changes in my life, which I think is why I'm having this little identity crisis. In the last 2 months I've had to prepare for and adjust to quiting my very rewarding job and leaving the city I have called home for the last seven years to go to a small town in the middle of a vast expanse of dead brown grass (otherwise known as southern Alberta) so that my husband can have a rewarding job.

I feel very much like I'm at a crossroads. I thought I was an adult before, but now I realize that I have still been enjoying my adolescence and am now facing the end of being able to pretend I'm still a kid. I don't want to leave Never Never Land. I want to be young forever and never get old or saggy or unattractive.

I think I have made it through the worst of my little psychosis, but we're not out of the woods yet. Hopefully this blog will be cathartic.

It's funny how seriously I've approached setting this thing up. I spent days trying to come up with a title and description. For some reason it was so important to me to have the best, wittiest, most original title. Very humbling to find that all of my ideas were already used several times over. Why did I care so much if total strangers found me to be intelligent, funny or cool? It's a lot of pressure to try to stand out from millions of other people. I do hope what I write is of interest to somebody, but this is my first attempt at blogging so I will try to keep my expectations low.

6 Comments:

At 4/04/2006 6:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Incontheivable eh???

Why do you keep saying that word. I do not think it means what you think it means...

Bye Bye boys. Have fun storming the castle!

Lisa, interesting post. Speaking as an over 30 who still acts like a 6 year old, I'm way off from having a mid-life crisis. I got your e-mail and no you are not a loser.

I look forward to your posts and will respond accordingly. BTW the other thought I had for incontheivable was "wabbit season...duck season...FIRE!!"

 
At 4/04/2006 7:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Lisa,
I read your blog and it is good writing! Way to go. I look forward to a kick boxing story.
Karen in Edmonton.

 
At 4/04/2006 8:07 PM, Blogger Stephen T Berg said...

Actually your midlife crisis timing is impeccable. (smile) It's your leaving Edmonton 10 years too early that's really, ahem, crappy. Okay, promise not to guilt you any longer.

I love your blog Lisa, as we all still love and miss you. (unsure of the parallelism there.)

But hey, I'll check back frequently and link your blog and it will be just like, like, you moving away and starting a blog.

Steve (Lisa's quite literally old boss.)

 
At 4/04/2006 9:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too Remember being 29 staring down the Barrel of turning 30. I thought for sure I'd hear a Pop and feel a small tremor in my body when I turned that Magical number. When it finally happened I paused a second, brased myself for the big "POP" but nothing happened. Was it time to be a Grownup all of a sudden? Is it the day the Laughter died? Did I have to Burn my Marilyn Manson & Metallica CD's? I found in the end 29 was a lot more stressful than 30 was. Now at 37 staring down the barrel at 40, I say Bring it on!! I'm still the same mischivious boyish man I've always been. I love being in the Mosh Pit with Kids 10 or 15 years younger than me. I think its great to be young at Heart. Don't fear it, embrace it! I'm a long way off from submitting to grow-up-itis.
_Marcus

 
At 4/05/2006 8:06 AM, Blogger Mission Musings said...

Welcome to the World of Bloggery! You are no longer a Blog Virgin. How does it feel?!

I'm having a mid-life crisis heading towards 40. Hopefully by the time it comes in a couple of years I'll be over it and I can embrace my old agedness. ; )

Hope you'll link to my Mission Musings, Lisa: http://www.reginarescuemission.org/blog

 
At 4/06/2006 12:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Lisa!

Welcome to Blogging!!

Don't think of it as a midlife crisis (wouldn't that mean you expect to live to only 60???).

In that case think of it as a third of life crisis (so that means you'll live to a ripe age of 90).

Don't worry - I have friends in their 50's that still act like little kids. In fact my dad is in his 60's and is still as mischievious as ever. And he's got the scars to prove it!!!

Hang in there girl! We're all in this together!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home