join the circus

This is me attempting to engage the world around me, search for justice, and spread peace.

Friday, March 2

Tokyo Hospitality

At this point in my travel journal some pages have fallen out and shortly thereafter I gave up writing at all. Here is my last entry, and then I'll try to jog my memory with a few photos of my last week in Japan.

We were again searching for a restaurant down a dark street armed with 'directions', but no address or map. This one was supposed to be an 'all tuna' restaurant, and examples of menu items had really excited my tastebuds. If we had the name in kanji, it would have been easier. Everything looked so non-descript and similar on the outside. We had a strong suspicion that it was a small place we found just around the corner on a side street, but peeking inside, and making note of people's attire as they came out, we felt most definitely under-dressed.

And rumpled.

And sweaty.

And grumpy and tired from walking all day.

We gave up and decided to head back to the train station for fast food, walking on the other side of the wide street in case we found the real restaurant on the way.

We passed a yakitori stand I decided to ask the salary men sitting at the make-shift counter if I could take their picture. They thought this was hilarious and posed several times for me (unfortunately, my simple digital camera and shaky hands are not a good mix at night).

They invited us to join them and asked us all kinds of questions about how we liked Japan - in English, of course. The cook was a high spirited guy and enjoyed showing off for us. He teased us and embarrassed his daughter.

An older couple making the rounds joined us. They gave us sabisu (complimentary refreshments). We sat there and made as much conversation as possible. They all acted politely amazed whenever I used a japanese word. We ate our chicken skewers, drank sake and ate tiny bowls of macaroni salad (?).

The older gentleman kepts putting his hand on my shoulder, which I guess is getting quite fresh in Japan. The others kept scolding him and his wife cuffed him.

A Vancouverite who lived in the building above came by and promised to keep him in line. I guess this guy had a reputation!

It feels so good when the local people invite you into their world. This is the only way to travel.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home