join the circus

This is me attempting to engage the world around me, search for justice, and spread peace.

Monday, July 17

Too much of a good thing

I am sick of raspberries.

I'm sure most gardeners can identify with the experience of harvesting much more of a particular crop than they personally need. This summer I have spent hour upon hour picking, cleaning and sorting raspberries. I have eaten them almost everyday, as well as frozen the 'B' grade berries, and cooked the smooshed ones.

In case you, too, are getting tired of eating the raspberries in your garden, I am posting my recipe for raspberry sauce so you can invite your friends over for dessert and get them to eat your raspberries for you. I doubt they will complain.

Reduced-Sugar Raspberry Sauce


4 cups fresh raspberries
2 or 3 cups fresh rhubarb (you probably have some of this to get rid of, too!)
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1/2 cup white sugar
1 cinnamon stick

Combine rhubarb, lemon juice and sugar in a med. saucepan and simmer over MED-LOW for 15-20 minutes. Add raspberries and cinnamon stick. Continue to simmer for 20 minutes more.

Spoon over whatever you like. Mocha-flavoured yogurt is particularly good.

3 Comments:

At 7/20/2006 4:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 7/22/2006 8:01 PM, Blogger Mission Musings said...

I'm going to send this to my friend, Melanie! She and her boyfriend dropped off a bunch of raspberries and mentioned that there are so many they can't keep up. And they are VERY ripe, so this recipe fits the bill!

 
At 7/24/2006 7:56 PM, Blogger s.o.e. said...

haha! spammers feel the wrath of baleet! And of word verification!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home