join the circus

This is me attempting to engage the world around me, search for justice, and spread peace.

Tuesday, June 20

Bringing the Jazz Greats Back to Life

Hal Miller is a percussionist with Carlos Santana, but first and foremost, he is a passionate collector of jazz film footage. Last night, as the first event of the Medicine Hat Jazz Festival, he presented some of his favorites to a small but enraptured audience (the show was in direct competition with game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals) at the Medicine Hat College Theatre.

I am no jazz expert, but I know what I like when I hear it. I love to listen to all the old greats like Ella, Louis and Thelonius, even if I can't tell you who played with them on what album. I had never heard of Hal Miller before the festival program came out, but I came away from the evening with a respect for his great knowledge and love of all that is jazz. His excitement was contagious as he shared his treasures with us. I left in awe, feeling overwhelmed by the talent and personalities that have come together over a short span of time.

I have a new appreciation of musicians that I don't really like to listen to, but are simply amazing to watch. Seeing my favorites perform; watching their body language and facial expressions gave me thrills. Being introduced to geniuses that have almost disappeared into obscurity made me a little sad. Those artists might fade completely away without the likes of Hal Miller, who lovingly passes on their gift to as many people as he can.

Film is an amazing medium. Imagine how differently we would understand older history if we could see moments of it illuminated on the screen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home