join the circus

This is me attempting to engage the world around me, search for justice, and spread peace.

Tuesday, August 14

the emperor's new bracelet

Last week I got my first rubber cause-supporting bracelet. It's for ending family violence.

It doesn't really count, though, because I didn't even pay for it. All I did was show up at the grand opening for some women's housing.

That's why these bracelets kind of bug me.

I understand that they work really well to make people who do work to support a cause feel good about themselves, and that they are positive peer pressure, but they are also a fashion trend, and a little too easy to come by if you ask me.

Anyone can pay ten bucks at some boutique in the mall and proceed to walk around with a little rubber bracelet in their favorite colour, saying "look, I'm a good person. I support a worthy cause."

Will they even remember what that cause is later, without having to read it off the bracelet?

I don't think I'm going to wear mine. It's way too big for my wrist and gets in my way. I can feel good knowing that I support all kinds of good causes as a donor, volunteer and employee without any bracelets.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home