join the circus

This is me attempting to engage the world around me, search for justice, and spread peace.

Thursday, December 7

Hiroshima

October 25

We can never get away as early as we'd like.

At least Hiroshima was only a short jump on the bullet train from Fukuyama. There was so much more english in this city. This helped to ease my culture-sickness, but not my hangover.  Posted by PicasaThe peace park was teeming with schools of japanese tourists - and I mean schools in a very literal sense. Most of them were school groups.

  Posted by Picasa   Posted by Picasa

We finally got to check our email in the oh-so-comforting foreign exchange lounge & library at the park. I would never have thought I'd be so happy to see english magazines and books.  Posted by Picasa

By the time we had walked to the World Friendship Centre, where we were staying, I was dead tired, but we pressed on. Still lots to see and do today!

For lunch we were directed down the alley to a little Okonomiyaki shop. Finally we'd get to try this beloved japanese dish! It was a great slice-of-life experience watching the local cab drivers joke and tease with the woman at the grill. I think she was supposed to be closing up for the afternoon when we walked in, but she welcomed us anyway. Matt enjoyed his huge helping, but it turned out that I really don't like Okonomiyaki.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home