join the circus

This is me attempting to engage the world around me, search for justice, and spread peace.

Tuesday, May 1

lazy bread

The whole world needs to know about this recipe! Well, maybe just the people who don't have bread machines.

I heard about this no-knead bread recipe from Julie Van Rosendaal on CBC's 'The Eye Opener', who got it from the New York Times, who got it from Jim Lahey, of the Sullivan Street Bakery.

I am intimidated by traditional bread making, so up until now I have stuck with quick breads and steered clear of yeast in general.

I didn't get the consistency quite right the first time, but it still turned out delicious. Matt raved about it until he got annoying.

Watching the video on the NY Times site helped to clarify a few things.

I tried it with 2 cups unbleached white, and 1 cup barley flour. I used the liner from my crock pot to bake it in. Apparently you can use 1 cup whole wheat or rye with good success. I intend to try many other combinations.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home